11 July 2011

Robin and Luienne Day Exhibition

I

recently went to see an Exhibition at Pallant House in Chichester of husband and wife designers Robin and Lucienne Day.  They were at the forefront of the "Festival of Britain in the 1950's; Robin with his furniture design and Lucienne with her textile design.  When I discovered them a few years ago I had a little studio where I re-designed furniture and then sold in my shop.  They were both a huge inspiration to me and still are, in particular Lucienne.  Sadly they both died last year, I believe within a month of each other, in their 90's.


A truly iconic couple, and worthy of a Google should you get a moment to browse.  Check out Lucienne's "Calyx" design...one of my favourites, and the design which catapulted her to fame.  Most of her fabrics were sold by Heales.


I believe that Heales are doing small re-runs of some of Lucienne's designs.  I aim to own a little piece of original textile by her one day, but in the meantime I am happy to perch on my Robin Day chair my husband bought me as an engagement present.


Everything vintage is "in" at the moment, from fabrics, furniture, homewares and clothing, in particular the 1950's atomic era.  To me a lot of these re-makes are heavily influenced by the Day's.